Monday, May 11, 2009

An answered prayer

I was asking for prayer for clear direction, and it really couldn't have been made any clearer. This morning I was still unsettled so basically on a whim called over to UCSF to speak with Dr. Dubois. He trained at Dana Farber and is the oncologist to another young boy I follow. To my amazement he answered the phone and was willing to speak with me regarding Aaron's case. Not only was he willing, he had just been corresponding with another doctor about his doubts that this radiation is necessary for kid's with good surgical margins. The other doctor agreed. Who would that other doctor be? Doug Hawkins from Seattle Children's Hospital. He also happens to be the chair of the very study we are participating in. Both of these doctors are very familiar with the study, and Dr. Dubois told me that he and Dr. Hawkins just did not see the evidence indicating radiation would be beneficial. So, we headed off to our appointment with Dr. Watanabe with this information, and to our surprise he agreed with them. It is a complete consensus amongst several doctors. Damon and I both feel a total peace now that this is the right decision and the best thing for Aaron.

So we are officially off treatment and Aaron is considered in remission. I was telling Damon that we need to get used to saying that Aaron "had" cancer. It's a great feeling, but also very strange. The shadow of recurrence will always loom, but for tonight I am enjoying knowing that we are done.

I've been looking back at the early posts and it is so amazing where God has brought us. Many things that we feared happened, but He brought us all through it. I am so thankful to all of you who have walked this journey with us either here physically or from far away. I'll continue to update as strides are made with physically therapy and such, but I have to tell you I am a little sad to know that this connection we've had with all of you through CarePages will slowly end. Thank you for being with us in spirit through this ugly and dark season and helping us to see the bright spots.

With much love,
Barbara